“Sweeping Motions.” What’s messier right now — your bedroom or you computer’s desktop? Tell us how and why it got to that state.
And I can defend (to the toilet and back) all of this untidiness. (See how I just defended by changing a word…mess to untidiness.)
Starting on the left side of the photo…I’ll walk you through it.
- there is a glass jar of shells that I gathered up from the beach on the Sea of Cortez 3 winters ago…makes me happy to be reminded of that six-week beach campsite.
- in front of that jar is the jar with scissors, pens, highlighters and a fuzzy red VOODOO doll…because everyone needs one of those. You just don’t realize that you do.
- in front of that jar is my stapler, eye glass case (with glasses) and a green frog that will hold said glasses. But if you look even closer…another pair of glasses are casually laying in front of it, and holding my iPad down.
- beside the jar, a crystal vase (retirement gift from a co-worker) holding a hand beaded rose – a gift from a friend…cuz every vase should have a flower. And I am lazy.
- There’s a book that I plan to read (the library will eventually call it home.) under the iPad (which also has a Kindle app with the 700+ books loaded and ready to read) titled “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. My camera is riding on top here for fun and for free.
- My earbuds, the camera-to-computer connector cord, some ear plugs (green), a bracelet (well actually there are 3 here), 2 rings, a jar of lip balm, and a packet of book labels (also a wee gift from a friend)
- ON COMPUTER…a silver watch band sans watch face. I keep meaning to get a replacement, so far it’s just taunting me. The small(er) stack of white paper (much larger 4 days ago) are examples of “how to edit” a novel from a class I took in May. And, yes, it takes me a while to actually sort through miscellaneous trash.
- ON SHELF (holding monitor) a collections of rocks, crystals (because we ALL need energy boosts) a piece of jade, a rock with barnacles that look like eyes AND my Buddha (cast in cement) —- ALL of this is very important sheeeeit. ( i.e. no defending needed here.)
Moving over to the right side of the computer
- this MORNINGs coffee mug. An empty water bottle reminding me to drink more water (it’s been empty for, hmmm, at least 3 days – so that theory blows) my ‘mouse’ , a pen, a red journal that is holding up a jar of the best lotion** and a misc envelope that I use to scribble random (and I do mean random) notes, a paper bookmark and a white box that actually has a gift in it that I need to mail soon.
- The purple glass jar holds a ‘joyful’ memory…Elizabeth Gilbert posted back in January how she writes down the one thing each day that brings her joy and collects them for a year…. and I thought I could do that too.( shoo, shoo you judgy person – move along now.)
- Behind the jar, a scented candle – which in self defense I don’t light as my cats tend to want to put either a face or a paw into it trying to capture the flame.
- A few miscellaneous items too numerous to mention sit next to (see the next item)…porcelain cat statue.
- And lastly…a black cat bookend. One of a set. The other is sitting on the window ledge in our bedroom standing guard against the blinds. I have forgotten why.
So, it’s all here for a reason. Just so you know…my car is much, much cleaner. Ergo, the idea that a “messy car is a gateway to a messy mind” holds NO MERIT at all. This just displays the workings of a really creative individual.
**The hand cream is called Whipped Shea Butter – Lavender from Sweet Cream Suds …it is amazing, made from goats milk. I brought it while traveling through Crowell, TX. Unique town and small store with the owners goat milk products…you can find her items on her website http://www.sweetcreamsuds.com/ . Really wonderful hand cream.